Saturday, September 29, 2012

Alright, time to post some homework! Here are some of my assignments from my Drawing I class, with Professor Kris Schramer.



A drawing made using a "picture plane." A picture plane, if you don't know, is basically a small sheet of glass with grid that the artists hold parallel to their subject to aid in the drawing process. Artists, when drawing from life, are always using a picture plane, but it is usually a figurative one. 
(I'd insert an illustration, but all I get when I google "picture planes" are pictures of airplanes)

The device helps the artist take the 3D world and condense it into a 2D space, the paper. 
For this assignment, my professor wanted us to use the picture plane to draw something we usually have problems drawing. This scene above would usually prove a challenge for me, perspective and depth have always been difficult for me to draw.



This is an in-class still life, using powdered charcoal and an eraser. The purpose was to only focus on the negative shapes, and disregarding everything else. 

I'm not sure why I had such a hard time with this drawing. I really wish I had zoomed in closer on the still life, or maybe used a bigger eraser.


No comments:

Post a Comment